Can it replace a T7x00 and a KIP 5000?

General info
oxident

Can it replace a T7x00 and a KIP 5000?

Post by oxident »

Hi!

Thanks for setting up this forum. As a frequent keepitprinting reader I really appreciate the knowledge and experience of everyone here ;-)

We're thinking about buying a new workhorse for our repro/copyshop with the primary intend to replace a ten years old KIP5000 (Ratio/GW controlled) and maybe also our T7100.

Now our dealers try to sell us either a KIP800 or a Pagewide 4500. I would tend to choose the Pagewide because we had quite good experiences with HPs Inkjets in the past decades but I do have some doubts about the color gammut. I mean, it is a four color device and that means to me, grey lines and fills are rasterized using black ink (in contrast to our T7100 having two dedicated grey inks).

Do you think this might be a problem?

Does anyone already made an ICC profile for standard media on a Pagewide (or a KIP800)? I would love to compare these :-)
tech2tech

Re: Can it replace a T7x00 and a KIP 5000?

Post by tech2tech »

If you are looking for a graphics printer this is not it. If you are looking for line drawings, Aerial drawings then the pagewide will work great. Have the dealer print out your files and look at the grey to make an informed decision.
"If you mess with a thing long enough, It'll break"
cmwade77

Post by cmwade77 »

This is definitely not a photo printer, if you are looking for something for photos and high end graphics, there are HP models that will work for that. We have the Pagewide 8000 and the print quality is amazing, but we are an engineering firm, so photos are secondary for us. But when we do need high end photos, we have a Designjet T2500, but it doesn't get a lot of use.

I second the suggestion of taking files you commonly need to print to the dealer and having them print them off for you so that you can see.
Mccolley

Post by Mccolley »

tech2tech wrote:If you are looking for a graphics printer this is not it. If you are looking for line drawings, Aerial drawings then the pagewide will work great. Have the dealer print out your files and look at the grey to make an informed decision.
Agreed, it does work great for line drawings.
Mark in Vegas

Post by Mark in Vegas »

We have 3 8000's and overall they are far superior to any other wide format engineering printer. As long as you don't expect photo graphics results you're good to go. For our graphics output we use a z6200 and a z6800. It was suggested that you have the dealer run off some prints so you can judge for yourself, good advice. I would also find out who will be turning screws and what their background is, these printers require an above average tech.
cfrepro

Post by cfrepro »

It will definitely handle all your blueprinting needs. I have a million sf on mime and have had NO quality complaints. I don't know how demanding your T7x00 customers.

Have your HP dealer give you samples of a challenging file AND the HP dealer print the same file. I would be VERY surprised if the Kip could match the pagewide. Remember the pagewide on different papers and the Kip can't. i am developing a growing new market with the polypropylene product and the AZON tornado paper. Can't do that with the Kip.

My service experience has been outstanding.

Good Luck
oxident

Post by oxident »

Thanks for all of your replies. Just ordered a 5000 and I'll keep my Z6800 for high end photos.