Roll alignment

General info
oxident

Roll alignment

Post by oxident »

Hi!

I'm facing the issue that every print on either roll source/size is misplaced by about 2-3mm to the left. Could it be a hardware problem or can it be adjusted manually?
Dmaynard

Re: Roll alignment

Post by Dmaynard »

Before you start making any adjustments, make sure the paper is not undersized. For the past year we have been getting rolls that are 1/8 to 1/4 inch undersized, sometimes more. Its random. One pallet of paper may only have 1 or 2 bad rolls, where as half of the rolls on the next pallet may be undersized. This is true for our brand of paper, OCE paper and HP paper, since its all coming from the same processing plant.
David A. Maynard
Print-O-Stat Tech
Pittsburgh
oxident

Post by oxident »

Thanks for this hint. Our current paper (Xerox branded) is indeed over-/undersized. Do you think this might cause a constant shift (always towards the same side) of about 1/4 inch?
Mark in Vegas

Post by Mark in Vegas »

You may want to look in to using another supplier. We have switched over to Roll Bond Converting, look it up. We were using Dietzgen and the jamming in the lower loop was excessive even after making changes to the roof assembly suggested by HP support. Since changing suppliers the jam rate is almost "0" daily. We have three PW's out on the floor so that almost completely eliminates the possibility of the jamming being printer related. I also understand that there are only 2 or 3 mills left in the US that suppliers are using (so I'm told) so your experience may be different. I did a spot check of the paper we have in house and the width varies less than 1 mm roll to roll. We are not connected to Roll Bond in any way other than being a customer.
oxident

Post by oxident »

To be honest, I don't think it's a paper issue because I'm seeing the same drift across all rolls in every drawer. The service manual doesn't mention this but there has to be some kind of printhead-to-roll calibration...
valentindu16

Post by valentindu16 »

Dmaynard wrote: Thu May 03, 2018 10:38 am Before you start making any adjustments, make sure the paper is not undersized. For the past year we have been getting rolls that are 1/8 to 1/4 inch undersized, sometimes more. Its random Garde Meubles Marseille. One pallet of paper may only have 1 or 2 bad rolls, where as half of the rolls on the next pallet may be undersized. This is true for our brand of paper, OCE paper and HP paper, since its all coming from the same processing plant.
Thank you very much for this tip. I'll try to see if it really works.