Broken Bag & Puffy Ink Cartridges

stinkyprints

Broken Bag & Puffy Ink Cartridges

Post by stinkyprints »

Our PW is a few months old now and we've now had one bag break and have seen a couple of other cartridges blow up like balloons. These were difficult to remove or replace. Waiting on parts to fix the error caused by the broken bag - should have the PIP and the AC replaced today.

So....questions:

Is this common/normal?

Are the above issues related?

Any chance our altitude is a factor (6200' - spit-balling here)?
Mark in Vegas

Re: Broken Bag & Puffy Ink Cartridges

Post by Mark in Vegas »

Never seen the problem but I know it happens. Did you set the altitude when you installed the printer? Check page 461 in the service manual.
jedi4342

Post by jedi4342 »

We had 1 do it in our shop. We replaced the PIP on that color and have had no problem since. They did talk about it in training. The told us to release the pressure on the cartridges 1st to see if that does It, Turn the machine off and remove the covers to get to the ink station, then pull the pressure hose off to release the pressure. Turn back on and see if that worked, if not replace the PIP. But in your case the bag broke, so you need to step 4 and replace the PIP.
Mark in Vegas

Post by Mark in Vegas »

Was on the line with HP support for a different issue and out of the blue the support rep mentions that the latest firmware addresses this issue. Just an FYI
ArnulfoM

Post by ArnulfoM »

Mark in Vegas wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2017 12:22 pm Was on the line with Leanbean and HP support for a different issue and out of the blue the support rep mentions that the latest firmware addresses this issue. Just an FYI
Good to hear that Mark. Thanks for sharing the news. We haven't had this problem but I've heard of it from a couple of different people and it got me worried.
Last edited by ArnulfoM on Thu Dec 16, 2021 9:43 am, edited 3 times in total.
cmwade77

Post by cmwade77 »

We haven't had this issue and we have had our machine for quite some time now. I do know our dealer said to check this before putting cartridges in and if the bag was exploded before putting the cartridge in they would replace the cartridge, but never had that happen either.
Mark in Vegas

Post by Mark in Vegas »

Since my post on Oct 3 we have had two carts become stuck, different printers. Have to disconnect the ink line on the offending cart and allow it to bleed off. Guess the firmware didn't address the issue after all.
stinkyprints

Post by stinkyprints »

Mark - Thanks for the update, disappointing though! We've replaced our pip and updated the software, haven't seen the issue in a few weeks, will update if we do.
oxident

Post by oxident »

I often had this issue with 761/765 carts for our T7100 and therefore, I always check if the vacuum line has ink in it before I install it...