Does a printhead expire?

Mark in Vegas

Does a printhead expire?

Post by Mark in Vegas »

I have an xl8000 printhead on the shelf and noticed that there is a manufacture date but no expiration date. Ink tanks expire why not printheads?
Geoffrey

Re: Does a printhead expire?

Post by Geoffrey »

I'm not 100% on this, but I can't see why there would be a expiry on the print head that hasn't been used - there is no consumable element to them to expire at that stage.

If you were to run ink through one, then let it sit for a prolonged period you'll definitely encounter some issues. Otherwise, once in use I would think that this would function as intended. I believe the warranty is 10,000 ml, we're seeing closer to 30,000 ml per print head.

Not a definitive answer, but hopefully it helps!
Mark in Vegas

Post by Mark in Vegas »

Makes sense, thanks. I'll be on a support call with HP today.
cmwade77

Post by cmwade77 »

It depends, do you mean the warranty on the printhead or will it not work? The warranty is from date of manufacture, so there is a shelf life of these based on that. The warranty also only has a certain amount of time from time of installation. Again, neither one means the printhead won't work, just means that you probably shouldn't buy them and keep them on your shelf.
cmwade77

Post by cmwade77 »

We did have one printhead stop working properly, we may try to clean it, as these are expensive.....$510 each. I figure cleaning the printhead (which they don't want back) is worth a shot to extend the life a bit more at that cost.
Techsense

Post by Techsense »

The printheads do not expire. They have no ink in them, and the warranty starts when the head is put into the printer.

Hope this helps!