Disconnecting

General info
cmwade77

Disconnecting

Post by cmwade77 »

Our Pagewide 8000XL keeps disconnecting from the network. Everything is fine on the network end, any ideas where to look?
rapids

Re: Disconnecting

Post by rapids »

Unplug the network cable and then ping that IP address. If you get a reply, another device on the network has grabbed that address. If you can, set the IP to static with a large last 3 digits to help it not be a DHCP issue.
cmwade77

Post by cmwade77 »

rapids wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 3:50 pm Unplug the network cable and then ping that IP address. If you get a reply, another device on the network has grabbed that address. If you can, set the IP to static with a large last 3 digits to help it not be a DHCP issue.
Sorry, should have mentioned we already have done this and yes the plotter does have a static IP address, our router reserves the IP address specifically for the plotter based on its MAC address as well.
Dustpup

Post by Dustpup »

Check the keystone on the wall. They tend to go bad over time. I recommend first trying to replace the keystone on the actual wall. Also it could be a bad patch cable (Ethernet cable). Along with that if the printer is connected to a switch (Box that splits the a single Ethernet wire into multiple). It could be that switch is going bad. Just a guess based off the information i have
cmwade77

Post by cmwade77 »

Sorry, I should have mentioned, I am also the IT Manager and it is nothing on our network's end that we can find. We have patched into multiple different wall jacks, replaced the patch cable, tested the cable, tested the wall jack, changed ports on the switch, changed which switch the plotter is plugged into, rebooted the router, switch and our VPN. Also it should be noted that all network gear are fairly new and enterprise grade gear. We are a company of about 90 people across two offices in two countries with 2 full time IT people and 3 part time IT people, so we aren't unfamiliar with network issues, this seems to be an issue on the plotter itself though.

There are also times where we can still ping the plotter, but SmartStream says it is disconnected, then eventually we can't ping it.
rapids

Post by rapids »

Is POE enabled on the switch? Power over ethernet had 1 machine here do that...
cmwade77

Post by cmwade77 »

rapids wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 12:55 pm Is POE enabled on the switch? Power over ethernet had 1 machine here do that...
Good question, we just double checked and the switch that the plotter is plugged into does not have POE capabilities, so no way to enable it, thus the answer is no. But was worth checking.
Dustpup

Post by Dustpup »

Okay Before we rule it is a board issue. I recommend first Restoring Firmware to factory via a USB drive. You can find the Firmware download on the HP site. Its usually 4.5gb in size.

These questions will help determine where the issues is on the machine. Dont want to jump the gun and claim it is a board issue such as Marbella -_-

How old is the machine?

Is the machine moving kinda slow from cold booting from off position?

Does the RJ45 Jack on the printer feel lose when you wiggle the patch cable?

When was the last firmware update.

Firmware Link for pgw8000xl: https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/se ... er/8376507
cmwade77

Post by cmwade77 »

The machine is 6 years old

It has always been slow when cold booting from off (about 5 to 7 minutes)

The RJ45 jack does not seem loose to me

And yes, the firmware was restored with a USB drive.
Dustpup

Post by Dustpup »

5 to 7 minutes is not bad. My machine had a bad hard drive issue where the HDD went bad. and took almost 20 minutes to boot to ready mode hahaha.

The firmware kept crapping out due to that. I finally replaced the HDD and it started to work like a charm.

Give the firmware a go. It could have gone bad. But if it still occurring its going to be between the board that the RJ45 outlet is on to and to the Marabella. Or the HDD is just going bad.

Fresh Firmware Install: Download all the Zip parts and open the main zip. Grab the file in the zip. Place the File in an empty USB drive. Once done Turn off the machine. Plug the usb drive in the side of the control panel. Turn on the machine and you will get a screen asking if you would like to run the firmware install/update. Let it update the firmware.