Pagewide xl 5000 Scrapper not draining

Tbone

Pagewide xl 5000 Scrapper not draining

Post by Tbone »

I have a XL 5000 with about 750000 sq ft and the Scrapper(Spitoon) is not draining into the waste ink container.
CHARPER

Re: Pagewide xl 5000 Scrapper not draining

Post by CHARPER »

I Have a pagewide 5000 and i have the same problem and the dealer is looking for 2k to fix it without
examining the problem, I have been told that the belt breaks and if i had a workshop manual i would
fix it myself. I am not a stranger to printers and have had a few bad experiences with so called service guys coming down to fix machines and making a mess of them due to not having a clue and working off
laptop step by step video. Does anyone out there have a workshop manual for the pagewide xl 5000?
jedi4342

Post by jedi4342 »

If the belt is broken it will send a code letting you know something is wrong. The PMK2 could be clogged or the spittoon itself could be clogged. Have you done any PMK2's to the printer? You can open the front door, on the right there is a lever to push down on to unlock it, on the other side there is a little spot where you can pull the piece forward to release the left side. Stick it through the cut out on the left side and pull the right side out. You can see if the belt is broken or if it has a clog. You can have your service tech call HP while he is there. Don't let them off too easy. Get it fixed before the ink gets everywhere.
MrXL

Post by MrXL »

I just did one of these. PMK2 and Spittoon.

The problem is that a lot of these just don't get the usage they're made for. If ink's not running through, it clogs. Like Jedi was saying, if the waste tubes get clogged, it can back it up into the spittoon and just sit there, turning into sludge. The wiper either moves slowly and the motor shuts down, or the belt inside snaps and has to be replaced. If it hasn't snapped, you can just pull it and clean it, but if it breaks, it's toast.

It was especially bad because of the pandemic. People were coming back after printers sat for years with little to no use, and they started working again, only to find a month or two in that the ink was leaking out of the spittoon, or out of the waste diverter box. Then there were like month long backorders (apparently worldwide).

Moral of the story: Keep up on maintenance and beware of low usage PageWides.